*This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are thinking that in order to enjoy surround sound or high fidelity music, you must purchase expensive home theater speakers worth thousands of dollars, you need to reconsider. Technological advancements have allowed companies to make smaller sized speakers that create great sound. We narrowed down the numerous products out there into a list of the best bookshelf speakers on a tight budget. If you are looking to spend a little less, check out our list of the best cheap bookshelf speakers.
Why Go for Bookshelf Speakers?
Next time you go looking for a good set of speakers to put in your office, living room, home theater, or to use for parties, do not just look for the big-sized home theater speakers or floor standing speakers – keep an open mind when it comes to the smaller-sized bookshelf speakers, they may surprise you with their sound quality.
There are several reasons why many consumers prefer to go with bookshelf speakers, some of the main reasons are outlined:
- The most obvious reason behind purchasing bookshelf speakers is that they are much smaller in size than most other high-quality speakers on the market. Because of their smaller size and elegant design, these speakers can easily be placed in the limited space of your bookshelf, study table, or TV trolley. Those who are short on room space can buy the bookshelf speakers, and enjoy the comparable intensity of sound and bass.
- Another reason why consumers may prefer bookshelf speakers is that they often cost much less than the home theater systems or floor standing speakers, and with comparable sound quality. You may spend less, but still receive the high-quality sound that everyone is looking for.
- Bookshelf speakers can be easily moved and can be attached with a number of devices. Their size and additional features results in a great diversity of uses. You can hook them with your stereo system, you can hook them with your TV, you can hook them with your computer, and you can even hook them with your Xbox or PS4 to take your music listening experience to the next level.
How Are Bookshelf Speakers Different From Other Speakers?
Most speakers look alike as far as their external appearance is concerned – the same round shape with a powerful magnet at the back, and some wires running here and there, but there is much more to them. The number of drivers, their size, and the material from which the speaker itself is built, all play roles in how the final product sounds.
Frequency Response: The frequency response is a measure of the range of sounds that a speaker can produce. It is a good idea to go with speakers that can produce extreme lows and extreme highs without disturbing the natural sound, so look for the speakers which offer an extended high-frequency response. The top-rated bookshelf speakers offer a balanced frequency response that ranges between 45 to 20,000 hertz (in many cases, may even extend outside audible frequency for humans). The ability to produce sounds outside of what the human ear can hear will not substantially alter the way the audio sounds, but we’ve found it to produce a more three-dimensional feel to the music.
Impedance: The impedance of a speaker shows its ability to perform efficiently, deliver good sound quality even at low power supply. It is measured in ohms. Generally, the higher the ohms, the better quality sound that can be produced (less static at higher volumes). Also remember, the higher the ohms, the more probable you will need to invest in an amplifier or other external power source to adequately power the speakers.
Sensitivity: Sensitivity is the ability for a speaker to deliver specified loudness (volume level) within a specified voltage level – it is expressed in dB. Most top-rated speakers can reach much higher volumes than is needed.
Power Handling: The amount of power that can be handled by a speaker is representative of its power handling capabilities. You need to look for speakers that offer better power handling features and the best bookshelf speakers perfectly fit that category.
Who Needs a Pair of High-End Bookshelf Speakers?
Gamers, audiophiles, or the casual music listener – those who know and love music need to go for the best bookshelf speakers within their budget – they can offer everything that is needed, high impedance, perfect frequency response, unmatched power handling capabilities, and adequate sensitivity levels. Whether you are a student, a teacher, a mother or a father, a rap music lover of classical music lover, you can be sure to enjoy listening to your favorite music through any of these speakers we’ve reviewed for you below.
#1 Klipsch RB-41 II Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers Review
Buy on Amazon
Simply put, the Klipsch RB-41 II Reference Series bookshelf loudspeakers are a masterpiece. Whether you are a movie aficionado or a music fan, these speakers will match your listening needs perfectly, and offer you the kind of sound that much more expensive speakers provide. This black beauty with its elegant style can match any interior and can be easily fit anywhere without sacrificing much space. The high-quality drivers utilized in these speakers offer better precision, clarity, and effortless power, than previous models. Let us have a look at some of its best features:
- The Klipsch RB-41 II Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers are able to offer crisp highs and highly detailed mids with very little distortion at very high volumes, thanks to their forward sounding speakers.
- These speakers come with a 1” aluminum tweeter.
- These speakers come with a 5.25” high-output woofer.
- Because of their efficient design, the RB-41 II Reference Series Bookshelf Loudspeakers are able to produce more output with less energy.
- These speakers can perfectly fit in any room – big or small.
- Offer lifelike performance, whether you are watching movies or listening to your favorite soundtrack.
#2 Fluance SX6 High Definition Two-way Bookshelf Loudspeakers Review
Buy on Amazon
If you mean business and are looking for some serious sound with low distortion, the Fluance SX6 High Definition Two-way Bookshelf Loudspeakers may be just for you. With the constant changes and improvements in the musical world, speakers also need to cope with such changes. For rap music lovers, which look for speakers that offer punchy bass and less distortion, these speakers can perfectly match such demands.
With their contemporary design and exciting audio performance, these speakers can produce some very fun-to-listen-to music. Even when played at full volume, the acoustic image remains free from cabinet vibrations, and you hear music and just the music. Following are some of the features that make them the most favored speakers when it comes to bookshelf speakers.
- The small bookshelf design allows them to be placed anywhere in your room.
- For increased durability and performance, these speakers come with Butyl rubber surroundings.
- For optimum conductivity, these speakers are supplied with 5-way gold plated binding post terminals.
- The Fluance SX6 High Definition Two-way Bookshelf Loudspeakers come with Banana plugs and speaker wire compatible connectors, on all speakers.
#3 Cerwin Vega SL5M 2-Way Satellite Speakers Review
Buy on Amazon
When you buy Cerwin Vega SL5M 2-Way Satellite Speakers, you buy a mix an equal mix of sound quality and style – all within a reasonable budget. With their advanced tweeter design and a re-designed woofer system, these speakers offer crisp and clear sound, whether played loud or at low volume. These top-rated speakers also offer above-average impedance levels and a more than sufficient frequency response – enjoy your music without distortion or ghost noise. Let us look at some of the great features that these bookshelf speakers can offer:
- The Cerwin Vega SL5M 2-Way Satellite Speaker comes with Dayton Audio APA 150 a good 150 W amplifier.
- These speakers come with an 89 DB sensitivity response
- These speakers come with 60-20,000 kHz power capacity
- These speakers come with 5 ¼ “ Midrange
- These speakers come with 1 ¼ “ Silver treated Mylar Tweeters
- With its sleek design and modern looks, and an adjustable 50-150 Hz low pass crossover, these speakers are quite capable of filling your room with the kind of music that can make you go wild.
#4 BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers Review
Buy on Amazon
The BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers are developed for those who are looking for some serious bass. They use a special rear-panel Venturi port that allows these speakers to extend the low-frequency response, even at an impressively low power – rare to find in such small bookshelf speakers. Their custom-designed tweeters are able to offer undistorted, crystal clear high frequencies.
The re-designed rough and rigid woofers are quite capable of offering accurate, extended bass. For the amount of money you spend, these speakers offer you everything you need in good speakers. Let us have a look at some of the distinguishing features of these speakers.
- The BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers are specially designed to offer video-shield so that you can enjoy a good musical experience even when you place them near a Television or computer system
- These are 2-way tuned bookshelf speakers and offer deep bass and extendable treble because of their wide frequency response of 43-20,000 Hz.
- With the 90 dB sensitivity, you can use the BIC America DV62si Bookshelf Speakers with amplifier offering 10-150 watts per channel
#5 Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers Review
Buy on Amazon
When it comes to Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers the name Pioneer is enough to ensure quality and durability. You can expect high-quality audio delivery and the best performance from these speakers. These bookshelf speakers are designed with a molded, curved cabinet that not only gives them a nice look but also makes them deliver better sound quality.
These babies come with a 6-element complex crossover, impressive woofer, and tweeters that offer a clear distinction between high and low frequencies so that you are able to hear more full-bodied sound. Let us have a look at some good features that these speakers bring with them:
- The Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers come with 1” high-efficiency soft dome tweeters which offer crisp and clear sound quality.
- These speakers are fitted with 4” surface woofers which offer a full-bodied sound experience.
- These speakers use a high-tech, 6-component crossover which ensures excellent quality sound regardless of the type of music you play.
- With an impedance of 6 ohms and crossover of 3 kHz, these speakers an excellent balance and precision.
#6 Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers Review
Buy on Amazon
With the Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers, you’ll arguably get a lot more than what you pay for – you get dynamically balanced drivers, flared ports, and a narrow baffle design All of these features make these bookshelf speakers stand out from the rest – not to mention their excellent sound performance and their physical beauty.
You can easily use the Polk Audio TSi100 bookshelf speakers as part of a surround sound system, or as self-standing home theater speakers. They perform equally well in any kind of role you assign to them. With their low-end response of 61 Hz, you can expect a reasonable bass to enjoy modern Hip-hop and Rock music. The deep, hard-hitting lows paired with impressive mids and highs result in high-quality sounds that are seamlessly combined to hit all notes with accuracy.
- The Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers come equipped with 1” silk/polymer composite dynamic balance dome tweeters
- They are equipped with 5 ¼ “ dynamic balance composite woofers
- These speakers can work on a frequency response of 25-53 Hz
#7 Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System Review
Buy on Amazon
Everyone likes SONY for a reason, as they consistently offer some of the best in terms of quality and performance. These speakers give the other companies a run for their money. These babies weigh very little, standing roughly 18” from the ground, but still manage to provide an outstanding sound experience to the listeners, whether listening to classical tracks, reggae, or rap music.
With an 8” Kevlar Woofer and 1” finely balanced dome tweeter, the Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speakers are made for serious music listeners and lovers.
- These speakers come with an Impedance of 8 ohms
- These speakers come with a frequency range of 50-50,000 Hz, that good for a smaller sized speaker
- The Nano Fine Dome Tweeter that comes with these speakers are quite capable of handling up to 50 kHz of load.
- You will be able to enjoy listening to any type of music using these speakers, whether it is orchestral music or any other type of modern music with crisp highs and lows.
#8 Wolverine WIOS2 Wireless Indoor-Outdoor Stereo Speakers Review
Buy on Amazon
Most bookshelf speakers are designed and assembled in such a way to perform best indoors – however, what if you want to take them out to enjoy a nice party by the beach or by the pool? It is hard to take most bookshelf speakers outside as they are usually wired, and not weather resistant.
Realizing this gap, Wolverine comes up with the Wolverine WIOS2 Wireless Indoor-Outdoor Stereo Speakers, which are wireless. These speakers use Bluetooth technology to deliver the same sound quality as the wired ones. You can use the Wolverine WIOS2 Wireless Indoor-Outdoor Stereo Speakers equally well both indoors as well as outdoors. Let us have a look at some of the good features that these speakers bring with them:
- These speakers come with a transmitter base and 2 wireless speakers
- The wireless transmission range is about 200’
- These speakers work on 5.8 GHz wireless frequency
- You can use these speakers to stream music wirelessly, which means endless music and fun in all situations.
Last update on 2021-03-06 at 10:15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API