When it’s only 65 degrees in your home, you might need to toss on a sweater or wrap up in a blanket to feel comfortable. However, there’s not much you can do if the temperature drops down to 55 because you have no heating system. This is why it’s so important to have some form of heating in your home.Even a simple space heater will provide enough heat to keep your house fairly warm. We put together this list of some of the best portable heaters on the market to help you make an informed decision that will leave both your home and your pockets feeling warm.
Portable Heater FAQ
What is a portable heater? Portable heaters are small heaters that plug into an electrical outlet to provide heat to a small area of your home. There are various types of portable heaters that use different fuel sources, but most of them work by heating up and using a fan to distribute that heat.
Are portable heaters powerful? Although you can’t expect to crank up a portable heater and heat your entire home, you can definitely get the power you need to heat a small room. Many portable heaters are rated for room sizes up to 144 sq. ft., which is more than enough for your bedroom.
What types of portable heaters are there? Common types of portable heaters include ceramic heaters, oil-filled radiators and mica panel heaters. The primary difference between these heaters is how they create heat, although that affects other aspects of a heater as well.How do I know if a heater is powerful? When it comes to finding a heater with enough power to heat your room, you need to look at the wattage rating of the heater and its room size rating. Finding a heater with 1500-watt heating and a room size rating of at least 144 sq. ft. is key.
How We Reviewed
We spent a lot of time putting together this list of the best portable heaters, and no model was included on the list without plenty of thought beforehand. We looked for heaters that have enough power to provide heat for a decent-sized room, which includes finding a heater with a fan that equally disperses heat. We also made sure to look for quiet portable heaters since nobody wants to listen to the roaring sound of an old space heater all day long.Safety is also a big priority when it comes to portable heaters. Because you’re going to be running this heater a lot to keep your room warm, you need to know that it’s not a fire hazard. Portable heater safety features include overheat protection and automatic tip-over protection; both of these features will turn your portable heater off as soon as one of these problems is detected, potentially saving your life.
Portable heaters range from almost shockingly cheap to fairly expensive, but even many of the nicer models can be found for a reasonable budget. If you’re looking for a smaller heater that works best as a one-person heater in a smaller room, you can find numerous options that are downright cheap. However, you’ll need to spend a bit more if you’re looking for something that can effectively heat a larger room, especially if you live somewhere where it gets extremely cold. When you spend more money to get the best portable heater, you’re getting all sorts of additional features. Some of these heaters may be flat out more powerful than cheaper models, while others may offer other benefits like a body that’s cool to the touch or an ultra-quiet fan. If you’re looking for a portable heater you can happily use for years, you’ll want to spend a bit of money.
Top 10 Best Portable Heaters
1. DeLonghi HMP1500
- FULL ROOM WARMTH: Packs 1500 watts of heating power for full room comfort
- SLEEK LOOK: Whether set on the floor or mounted to the wall, this is a stylish way to stay warm
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT: Adjustable thermostat and multiple heat settings allow you to customize to your heating needs
Despite the relatively low budget of the DeLonghi HMP1500, it’s a very powerful heater with super-quiet operation and looks that will actually enhance the appearance of your home. This product is very affordable and DeLonghi provides a one-year limited warranty on this heater.
This heater can be used as a standalone heater with casters or wall mounted to save space.
There is no fan in this heater, so it might not spread heat throughout the room as well.
2. Dr. Infrared 1500W portable heater
- Can heat up a large room with Auto Energy Saving Model With High and Low Feature. Tip-over protection and Overheat...
- Dual Heating Systems featuring infrared quartz tube + PTC with 12hr automatic shut-off timer
- IR Remote Control, High Pressure Low Noise Blower with Noise level 39 dB super quiet. Heating can cover for a large...
The neat design and high power of the Dr. Infrared 1500W portable heater make it a great heater to have in your living room, and its super-quiet operation means it won’t bother you or your guests. This is one of the pricier heaters on our list but this portable heater does come with a three-year limited warranty.
This is a perfect heater for your living room because it has safety features like auto shutoff.
The wood design of this space heater might be a hard sell for some people.
3. Lasko CD09250
- 3 quiet settings - including high heat, low heat, and fan only make this electric space heater ideal for warming up an...
- Adjustable thermostat - allows you to adjust the heater's 1500 watt ceramic heating element. With 11 different...
- Convenient carry handle - makes it easy to move the space heater. Thanks to the heater's compact Size and convenient...
The Lasko CD09250 is a great heater whether you’re looking for something to keep on top of your desk or table or a small floor heater for personal use in a bedroom or office.This Lasko heater is backed by a one-year warranty from Lasko and is very inexpensive.
This heater is great for personal use and has enough power to provide plenty of heat.
The smaller size of this heater means it will have a tough time heating larger rooms.
4. AmazonBasics 1500-watt ceramic heater
- Ceramic space heater with adjustable thermostat for cozy and safe warmth—ideal for home or office
- 1500-watt high setting; 3 output options: Low, High, or Fan Only; power indicator light lets you know when it’s...
- For safety: tip-over switch with auto shut-off and overheat protection with auto shut-off; ETL listed
Much like the Lasko CD09250, the AmazonBasics 1500-watt ceramic heater is a great portable heater if you’re looking for something smaller to heat your home office or bedroom. The AmazonBasics 1500-watt ceramic heater is another inexpensive option. AmazonBasics backs this ceramic heater with a one-year limited warranty.
You get 1500 watts of power for a very low budget with this heater, and it comes in a small package.
The largely plastic design of this heater isn’t great as far as looks and durability go.
5. Brightown PTC-905 ceramic space heater
- Three settings: 1500 watt high heat, 750 watt low heat and normal cool blow fan
- Space heater ETL listed. Overheat protection for safety, automatic shut off if it overheats
- Quiet and powerful soothing radiant heat, perfect for medium size rooms. Adjustable thermostat control for personalized...
This might be a small heater, but it still packs enough power to heat a decently sized room. Plus, the sleek all-silver design of the heater makes it a great fit in any room. This is one of the better deals on our list and Birghtown provides a one-year quality guarantee on this heater.
The small size of this ceramic heater makes it a nice choice for smaller areas like bedrooms.
You need to be particularly careful not to use this heater in damp or wet locations.
6. Honeywell HCE200B Uberheat ceramic heater
This compact heater is like a lot of the smaller options on our list, but its sleek black or white circular design gives it unrivaled looks. A generous warranty doesn’t hurt, either. Honeywell provides a very generous three-year warranty on the HCE200B and it’s another affordable choice.
Two heat settings and a thermostat mean you can get the perfect temperature with this heater.
This heater is small, so you can’t expect it to provide too much heat.
7. Vornado MVH
- HEAT DIFFERENTLY — Gently heat all in the air in a small to medium-sized room through vortex air circulation without...
- HEAT SAFELY — Advanced safety features include a cool-touch exterior, tip-over protection, and automatic safety...
- HEAT EFFICIENTLY — 3 quiet heat settings (Low/750W, Medium/1125W, High/1500W) to tailor heat output and energy...
This space heater uses Vornado’s Vortex technology to spread heat evenly throughout the entire room, making it a great option for larger rooms that require lots of heat to stay warm. Vornado provides an industry-leading five-year warranty on the affordable MVH heater.
Three different heat settings allow you to fine-tune your temperature and energy use.
The Vornado MVH has a sort of cheap, plastic look to it that doesn’t belong in a heater this expensive.
8. Lasko 6435
This heater is a great way to step up in quality without spending too much money, especially thanks to its stunning designer looks that make it completely unique. Lasko offers a one-year warranty on the Lasko 6435 heater.
Oscillation allows the Lasko 6435 to distribute heat evenly throughout the entirety of your room.
The stand that holds this heater upright may not be too stable on high-pile carpets.
9. Holmes HFH131-N-TG
- Manual control with 1200 watt heat setting
- Adjustable thermostat
- Auto shut-off
You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a great compact heater in the Holmes HFH131-N-TG, although you won’t get quite as much power as you will from other compact heaters. The Holmes HFH131-N-TG is one of the cheaper models on our list and Holmes provides a one-year limited warranty on the HFH131-N-TG compact heater.
This heater is super small and has a carrying handle that makes it easy to take from room to room.
The plastic construction and cheap looks of this heater are what you’d expect from a cheap model.
10. Lasko 6462
- Choice of 2 Heat Settings - including high heat and low heat plus an Auto setting make this electric space heater ideal...
- 3 Heat Sweep Settings - allows this space heater to distribute warm air throughout large rooms. The full circle design...
- Adjustable Programmable Thermostat - with digital display allows you to adjust the heater's 1500 watt ceramic heating...
This is the non-designer cousin of the Lasko 6435, offering a similar design that does a solid job of heating up entire rooms, even ones that are a bit larger. This heater is a bit more expensive than the 6435. But Lasko does offer a one-year warranty on the 6462 full circle ceramic heater.
Circular heat means the Lasko 6462 can provide heat to all parts of your room at once.
This heater is tall and fairly thin, so it might not be the best option if stability is a concern.
If you’re looking for the best portable heater, any of the options from this list will do. The DeLonghi HMP1500 and Vornado MVH Vortex heaters are both great options, but they may be a little bit out of your budget. If so, check out one of our cheaper options like the Honeywell HCE200B; they’ll still provide ample heating power for small-to-medium-sized rooms without the big upfront investment that comes with a high-end heater.
Last update on 2021-03-05 at 22:35 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API