When a Microwave Won’t Do: The Best Toaster Ovens on the Market
While conventional ovens are lovely, not every meal requires such a robust appliance. Additionally, while the public’s dependency on microwaves is growing, many people are sick of microwave dinners. People who are tired of microwave meals and who don’t want to bother with conventional ovens may seek refuge in a toaster oven. The small countertop appliance can toast, bake, and broil, making it a versatile machine. Below you will find a list of the best toaster ovens currently available.
Toaster Ovens: The FAQs
1. What Is a Toaster Oven?
A toaster oven is known for its ability to brown and crisp foods in ways that microwaves can’t. This appliance is also capable of performing some necessary broiling and baking functions, and, more importantly, the toaster oven is more energy efficient than your standard oven.
2. What Can a Toaster Oven Do?
A better question is, “What can’t a toaster oven do?” While commonly thought of as a glorified toaster, this appliance can bake, broil, reheat, and toast.
3. How Does a Toaster Oven Work?
A typical toaster oven depends on a heating coil in the base of the machine, and this heating element is what cooks your food. However, toaster ovens have come a long way, and many can perform convection cooking. These toaster ovens have fans that help to evenly distribute the heat, which cooks your food more consistently.
4. Where Can You Buy a Toaster Oven?
Toaster ovens can be purchased at most retail locations; basically, if a store sells appliances, then you can likely find toaster ovens there. Besides local retailers, you can always look on Amazon and other online marketplaces.
5. How Much Does a Toaster Oven Cost?
The price of a toaster oven varies greatly depending on the style and functionality of the machine. For instance, a basic toaster oven with little frills will cost you about $29, but a toaster oven that has convection capabilities and numerous preprogrammed functions will likely run closer to $260. However, whatever your budget, we have you covered with this list.
How We Reviewed
In an effort to provide you with the most accurate and reliable information, we compiled data from several sources and studied numerous consumer reviews. We are only presenting the products that are both popular and dependable.
Overall Price Range
The toaster ovens on this list span a wide price range. The cheapest selection is the Black+Decker Four-Slice Toaster Oven, which comes in at $29.99. The most expensive option available on this list is the Breville Smart Oven Pro priced at $269.99.
Top 10 Best Toaster Ovens
- Features an interior oven light to keep an eye on your cooking
- 10 pre set cooking functions include: toast 6 slices, bagel, bake, roast, broil, pizza, cookies, reheat, Warm, slow cook
- Capacity: 6 slice toaster, 13 inches pizza. Dimensions : 15.75 x 18.50 x 11 inches
The Breville Smart Oven Pro, while the highest-priced option on this list, is an excellent toaster/convection oven. Boasting 10 preset functions and five heating elements, this toaster oven rates highly among consumers. A standard issue is the need to replace the thermal fuse after extensive use, which should be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
- Ten preset cooking options
- Temperature-conversion buttons
- Element IQ technology for automatic
- cooking adjustments
- Thermal fuse
PricingYou can purchase the Breville Smart Oven Pro for around $$.
Where To BuyThis item can be purchased from sites such as Amazon or from retailers, including Bed Bath & Beyond.
WarrantyThe Breville Smart Oven Pro comes with a one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Smart element IQ: there’s heat, and there’s smart heat; Element IQ Transfers heat intelligently across 4 quartz...
- 8 cooking functions: 8 cooking functions to guide you to perfection: bagel, toast, bake, broil, pizza, roast, cookies,...
- Not so mini capacity: your mini smart oven Fits 4 not so mini slices of toast, cookies, tuna melts and 11 inch Pizzas
The Breville Mini Smart Oven is around $100 cheaper than the Pro version, but this toaster oven does not sacrifice quality. With most consumers raving about its functionality and consistency, the Mini Smart Oven can make an excellent addition to your kitchen. The only concern of some reviewers was the irregularity of the broiler function.
- Adjustable rack
- Eight preset functions
- Element IQ for automatic heating and
- cooking times
- Broiler function
PricingThe Breville Mini Smart will cost around $.
Where To BuyYou can purchase the Breville Mini Smart Oven from local retailers, such as Bed Bath & Beyond, or from online marketplaces, such as Amazon.
WarrantyThis toaster oven from Breville comes with a one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- 6-slice convection toaster oven broiler with 0.6-cubic-foot capacity
- Pizza/bake, broil, toast, and convection; bagel, reheat, and defrost buttons
- Shade control with heat sensor maintains precise oven temperature
As a sort of middle-of-the-road toaster oven with regards to price, the Cuisinart Exact Heat offers ample space — 0.6 cubic feet — with electronic touchpad controls. Most reviewers were impressed with its consistency, which is due to the shade control and heat sensor. The primary concern among reviewers was the minimal interior lighting, which made it hard to tell when their food was done.
- Large capacity
- Shade control
- Electronic touchpad
- cooking times
- Minimal interior lighting
- Confusing operation
PricingYou can find this toaster oven at Amazon for $.
Where To BuyAs with most products nowadays, you can find the Cuisinart Exact Heat at Amazon.com.
WarrantyThis product comes with a three-year limited warranty.
- EvenToast Technology - The toaster oven interior is specially designed for even toasting of up to 4 slices of bread at a...
- 9” Pizza, 4 Slices of Bread - The compact toaster oven fits nicely on the countertop, while the curved interior makes...
- Four Functions - The stainless steel toaster oven’s cooking functions include: baking, broiling, toasting, and keeping...
As the most affordable option on our list, the Black+Decker Four-Slice Toaster Oven does not disappoint. Praising the overall size and functionality of the oven, most consumers give this product an excellent rating, with the main negative being the inconsistent browning of toast.
- Convenient size
- Includes a baking pan and broiling rack
- Electronic touchpad
- Easy to over-brown your toast
PricingThe cheapest product on this list, the Black+Decker 4-Slice Toaster Oven comes in at around $.
Where To BuyThe Amazon marketplace is always an excellent option for finding deals on countertop appliances, but local retail chains, including Bed Bath & Beyond, can offer significant value as well.
WarrantyA two-year manufacturer’s warranty comes with the Black+Decker Four-Slice Toaster Oven.
- Cuisinart Custom Classic Toaster Oven Broiler, TOB-40, Stainless Steel
- Condition:New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging
- Color: Stainless Steel
The Cuisinart Custom Classic Toaster Oven is one of the few ovens under $100 on this list, but that price shouldn’t worry you. This full-size toaster oven boasts a strong 1800 watts of power and is capable of all of your toasting, baking, and broiling needs. The one thing to be aware of is that the heating rod may become worn with overuse, but this should be covered under the limited warranty.
- Automatic slide-out rack
- Includes crumb tray, oven rack, broiling rack, and baking pan
- Heating rod can become worn
PricingThis product has a more consumer-friendly price of around $.
Where To BuyThis toaster oven is available from several online retailers, including Amazon, and at appliance stores, such as Bed Bath & Beyond.
WarrantyThe Cuisinart Custom Classic Toaster Oven comes with a two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- 1800-Watts with 7 functions: air fry, convection bake, convection broil, bake, broil, Warm, toast
- 0. 6 cubic foot non-stick interior with oven light. Dimensions (L x W x H): 15. 50 x 16. 00 x 14. 00 inches
- Capacity: toast 6 slices of bread, air fry 3lbs of chicken wings, bake a 12-inch pizza or roast a 4 pound chicken
If you’re looking for a toaster oven that does more than just toast, bake, and broil, then get the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven. This oven not only has room for a 12-inch pizza but also includes an air fryer with a three-pound capacity. The one consistent negative was the uneven baking.
- Air fryer with three-pound capacity
- Extremely quiet operation
- Seven cooking functions
- Uneven baking
PricingThis Cuisinart toaster oven will cost you around $$.
Where To BuyYou can purchase the Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven from local retailers, including Bed Bath & Beyond, or from online retailers, such as Amazon.
WarrantyThis toaster oven comes with a three-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- EASY ACCESS TO FOOD AND COUNTERTOP The roll-top door moves up and out of the way so you can have safe easy access to...
- EASY TO KEEP CLEAN Door is up and out of the way of messy spills and drips
- BAKE BROIL & TOAST 2 rack positions and included bake pan makes it easy to get started on cooking a variety of foods
Not the same as the Easy Reach Convection Oven, the Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Toaster Oven is a strong contender that is priced under $100. The space-saving design includes a rolltop door and a height of only 9.5 inches. Some reviewers did not appreciate that they had to unplug the toaster oven after every use, though this is a general appliance safety rule.
- Large glass door for easy visibility
- Includes a baking rack and pan
- Heavy-duty metal construction
- Must unplug after every use
PricingAs one of the more affordable options on this list, this Hamilton Beach toaster oven is available for just $.
Where To BuyAs a popular brand, the Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Toaster Oven is readily available on Amazon and from other online and brick-and-mortar retailers, including Bed Bath & Beyond.
WarrantyThis toaster oven comes with a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- 6 slice convection toaster oven for faster, more even cooking
- Convection technology and a wide temperature range of 150 to 450 degrees F let you cook with the convenience of an oven
- Digital controls with 7 cooking settings and an interior light for easy viewing
With one of the roomiest designs on this list, the Oster Large Digital Countertop Convection Toaster Oven has enough space for a 13-by-9 baking pan, a 12-inch pizza, nine slices of toast, or an entire chicken. While most consumers fell in love with the large capacity, some found the complexity of the dial functions too confusing.
- Large capacity that can fit an entire chicken
- Broad temperature range, from 150 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- LCD display
- Can be difficult to use
PricingThe Oster Large Digital Countertop Convection Toaster Oven is currently available for $ from Bed Bath & Beyond.
Where To BuyYou can find this appliance at Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond, or several other retailers.
WarrantyThis toaster oven has a one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Element IQ delievers the right power at the right time and when adjusted to taste, remembers
- 9 present functions: Toast, Bagel, Bake, Roast, Broil, Pizza, Cookies, Reheat and Warm
- 1800W with 5 Quartz heating elements
Featuring the same wattage and Element IQ technology as its more robust siblings, the Breville Compact Smart Oven holds its own. Most reviewers appreciate the preset programs as well as the large digital display. However, some reviewers were put off by the fact that the temperature displayed is different from the actual oven temperature. The temperature variation is a safety feature and is designed to prevent overcooking.
- Eight preset programs
- LCD screen
- Temperature-conversion button
- The actual temperature is different from the digital readout
PricingThe Breville Compact Smart Oven is priced at around $, but the cost may vary depending on the seller.
Where To BuyAs with most products these days, Amazon sells this Breville, but it can also be found at stores such as Bed Bath & Beyond.
WarrantyThis toaster oven comes with a one-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Spacious 0.95 cubic-foot capacity oven Fits 13" pizza and 9" x 13" baking pan
- 15 cooking functions, including innovative dual cook, and speed convection.
- Digital controls with large blue backlit display and LED buttons. BPA free; Convenient auto-slideout rack
Despite being one of the most expensive options on this list, the Cuisinart Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven is worth every penny. With a large-capacity interior capable of fitting a 13-inch pizza or a 13 x 9 baking pan, this toaster oven has more than 1800 W of power and 15 cooking functions. The main complaint from consumers was that the main dial is made of plastic instead of stainless steel like the rest of the machine.
- 0.95 cu. ft. capacity
- Digital controls
- Automatic slide-out rack
- Plastic dial
PricingThe Cuisinart Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven is selling for about $$$.
Where To BuyYou can find this toaster oven in the Amazon marketplace, or at brick-and-mortar retailers such as Bed Bath & Beyond.
WarrantyThe Cuisinart Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven comes with a three-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Any of the above-listed toaster ovens would be an excellent addition to your kitchen; however, depending on your budget and space, you may be inclined to pick one over another. The Breville Smart Oven Pro is a top-of-the-line machine best suited for those with a large budget who plan on using the appliance daily. If you only intend to use your toaster oven once in a while, then you’re better off picking the Black+Decker, which is both popular and affordable. No matter which toaster oven you choose, you will be happy to forget about those microwave dinners and start cooking something fresh.