You must be on the search for the best bubbler pipe if you’ve found this article. Well, you’re in the right place. Bubbler pipes are great for smoking on-the-go. Whether you’re a seasoned smoker attracted to the health benefits of a waterpipe or just a curious novice building a collection, our goal is to provide you with some useful information and nudge you in the right direction.
Don’t get ripped off – there are many relatively inexpensive bubblers out there that are high quality and would be a great start (or addition!) to any smoking accessory collection. In our experience, smoke shops typically hike prices – in some cases we’ve seen the same bubbler pipe in retail being sold for 50% or more expensive as found online.
1. Our Favorite: The Puff Labs Perculator
If you’re a seasoned smoker of dry herb, you more than likely have heard about Puff Labs and their smoking accessories. Puff Labs is known for its top of the line, hand-blown glass pipes. Puff Labs has designed a number of great products all of which effectively incorporate aesthetic style without sacrificing on functionality or maintainability. Puff Labs places importance on detail and this is especially true with the Perculator.
This bubbler pipe comes in a clear/blue design which is beautiful. The minimalist design is quite durable and seems to do rather well with accidental tumbles and falls from a short distance. Keep in mind, while this hand-blown glass is noticeably thicker than you’d find in some other bubbler pipes, we’d like to emphasize that all glass pipes can break under the right circumstances. Carrying the pipe in your pocket or travel bag would not be a problem with this bubbler. The Perculator measured out at just under 7 inches, though there is minor variation from bubbler to bubbler. At this size, concealment is not a problem. Regardless of the type of herb you choose to smoke, the Puff Labs is eye-catching yet discrete, fits comfortably in your hand during use, and is durable enough for the typical user.
Who is this for?
Anyone looking for a high-quality glass bubbler pipe that is easily concealable without the worry of causing damage should absolutely check this one out. Better yet – this pipe is rather inexpensive. Something like this found in a smoke shop would surely go for 2 or three times what you can find it for on Amazon.
Some More Info
The moderately-thick glass design is perfect for heavy and light users who may or may not be carrying their new piece around. Despite the small size, this glass bubbler does a great job countering the harshness of smoke inhalation. It hits smooth and pulling takes very little effort. The bowl itself is moderately sized allowing for nicely packed bowls. The hole is small enough to prevent debris from being pulled in unintentionally while still allowing substantial airflow. Cleanup is simple – simply run tap water through the mouthpiece and you’re all set. If you need your glass pipe in pristine condition, pour some rubbing alcohol in, cover the holes and shake for 30 to 60 seconds, and then rinse with water.
This four chamber glass bubbler might be more expensive than the Puff Labs Perculator above, but it more than makes up for the price with is unique, flawless design. This all glass bubbler is made in the USA. It measures in at roughly 7 inches. The piece is bigger than it looks because of the number of chambers. What keeps the Caravan Quadruple from taking first place is the fact that it takes a little bit of patience to figure out how to use.
It should also probably be best left at home – what it lacks in portability it makes up for in functionality once you figure it out. With a little bit of patience, this bubbler can produce some massive, smooth rips. It drags well, and is a fun piece to add to a collection. Cleaning out each chamber can be a bit of a hassle. Overall, this is one of our favorite smoking devices – it is good for both single use and for a group of friends.
Glass Bubbler Buying Guide
Do you agree that smoking is a richer experience when glass bubblers reveal your character and creativity as you smoke? And, while revealing who you are, the filtered smoke that passes through the glass pipe assures you of a healthy and contemplative experience?
Pipe smoking, as traditionally associated with the cultured gentlemen and grandfathers, is becoming popular among the younger generation. The younger generation who grew up in the digital age no longer view pipe smoking as an embarrassment.
Add to the popularity of glass bubblers its unique design and technology that gives you a pleasurable experience as the smoke produces color changes in the glass bubbler.
But, you may ask, is a glass bubbler the right choice for your smoking tool?
The Appeal to Owning a Glass Bubbler
There are numerous reasons why a person may smoke tobacco, marijuana (if located in a region where medicinal or recreational use is permitted) or other smokable herb. Early use of smoking tobacco or herb was for rituals, medicine, holy incense, food, and relaxation. And, the different materials used as smoking tools, like wood pipes and clay, provided a distinct taste to the smoking experience.
The search for additional taste, the cultivation of a wider variety of herbs, medicinal marijuana, and tobacco, and the introduction of blown glass paved the way for the astonishing preference of smokers for glass pipes. Compared to wood and clay pipes, a glass bubbler removes the competing flavors, allowing the distinct flavor of the tobacco, marijuana, or other herb, to come out.
The appeal of a glass bubbler to tobacco or medicinal marijuana smokers is due to the equipment’s many noteworthy features:
Choosing the Best Glass Pipe to Suit Your Preference
Many tobacco smokers view glass bubblers as among the most innovative smoking equipment available. The reason for this view is due to the glass bubblers fusing the best elements of hand pipes and tobacco bongs. The innovation resulted to a bubbler that is handheld, portable, and easy to transport, making the bubbler ideal for smokers on the go. Glass bubblers are convenient in design and structure:
- The use of water as a cooling agent for smoke that eliminates the harsh feeling in your throat and lungs
- The percolation system which filters and diffuse the smoke, giving you a healthier smoking experience
- Built-in bowls to place dry herbs and carb to control the air flow
Types of Glass Bubblers
Glass bubblers come in many different types distinguished by their shape.
Pros and Cons of Glass Bubblers
While there are other makes of smoking equipment, like clay, metal, and wood, most ardent pipe smokers opt for glass bubblers which they consider as the best option. If you are a beginner to pipe smoking, knowing the pros and the cons of glass bubbles will help you decide on the equipment that best meets your preference and requirement.
- Ideal for beginners. By choosing the appropriate glass bubbler, the bubbles produced as you inhale softens the harshness of the smoke. Controlled shallow breaths for short periods facilitate adapting to the experience of pipe smoking for a beginner.
- Convenience and ease of use. The size of the glass bubblers makes it easy to transport. The glass material prevents heating up which is convenient for handheld pipes.
- Transparency. The movement of the smoke as it fills the chamber adds interest to the smoking experience. You can also enjoy watching the changing of colors as the smoke touches the metal vapors inside the glass.
- Develops character through regular use. Glass pipe smokers agree glass bubblers get more interesting with regular use. Constant use of the smoking tool makes the glass smokier, altering the colors which provide the character smokers are looking for in a glass pipe.
- The pure taste produced. Glass pipes have the ability to isolate the tobacco or herb flavor and produce a pure smoking experience.
- Breaks easily. Because of its glass construction, glass bubblers are prone to breakage if mishandled. The artisans found a way to counter this weakness through the process of annealing to make it durable. Still, care is necessary in handling glass bubblers.
- Expensive. The intricate process and the fact that the glass is mostly hand blown makes this glass pipe expensive. If your budget is tight, you may opt for a metal pipe. But, if the budget is not a problem, investing in a glass bubbler may provide a richer smoking experience.
- No replacement. There is no replacing a broken glass bubbler. A glass bubbler is one solid piece of glass and once broken, you may need to buy a new one.
Tips for a Richer Smoking Experience
A stale smoke in a glass pipe spoils your smoking experience. You will know a stale smoke when you see yellow or brown color in the chamber. Stale smoke tastes harsh and feels hard on your throat and lungs.
To prevent spoiling your smoking experience with glass bubblers, you may choose to entertain the following tips:
- Glass pipe cleaning. Clean your glass bubbler regularly. If you fail to clean your bubbler, tars and resins accumulate and will affect the taste of the smoke. When these elements accumulate, the deposits bar the air flow through the pipe. Without cleaning, the glass bubbler loses its beauty and becomes less hygienic.
- Boiling the glass bubbler. Boiling, when done the right way, does not damage the glass pipe. Boiling removes the resin not accessible with a brush. When boiling, take care not to drop the glass pipe as the thermal shock may damage the equipment.
- Using Alcohol. This method of cleaning is easier for you. Soak the glass pipe in 91% alcohol or higher and add salt. The alcohol removes the resin and the salt provides the abrasion necessary to loosen the resin. It is advisable to always soak the glass pipe or soak it overnight when not in use.
Smoking pipes were once the domain of the genteel and the elegant. Modern technology made it possible to spread its use to a larger population, particularly the younger generation. Glass bubblers have the unique advantage of being crafted by artisans which prevent duplication of design.
Glass bubblers are artistic pieces that are both beautiful and expressive. Therefore, when you choose a specific glass bubbler, you are expressing who you are and enjoying each smoking experience.